Piece by piece, we are moving our gardens from the rental over to the land we actually own:
We waited almost two months for rain. It’s been incredibly dry lately, but now the ground is finally wet and soft, so we’re moving as fast as we can. It’s better to transplant in cooler weather, anyhow.
Over the last week I’ve finished about 20,000 words on the new book project. It’s been a very busy month, with three different plant-related events eating up three weekends. The Gulf Coast Homesteaders Meetup was excellent, though, and that’s the last we’re doing until next year.
Now we can finally work on getting our own house in order. Fence lines need to be cleared and repaired, a hedge needs to be planted, a chicken coop needs to be built, extra stuff needs to be donated or sold, boxes need emptying, bookshelves need building, soil needs amending, trees need planting… there is a lot to do, and our time has been too limited.
Today we’re fixing up a piece of cattle fencing around the milking area so Rachel can peacefully milk a cow without the other cows wreaking havoc and stealing grain. We’re also transplanting a few more plants we didn’t get in the ground during the filming of the video we posted this morning.
There are a lot more trees and plants in the old Grocery Row Garden that need to be moved. The owners of that land do not care about gardens and we fear they’ll end up bush-hogged if we don’t get them cleared soon. One piece at a time, rain permitting, we shall press on.
See you all soon.