The women didn’t know each other, nor did they get their squash from the same seller. Still, they both developed what’s known as cucurbit poisoning, or “toxic squash syndrome,” according to a new report of the two cases, published today (March 28) in the journal JAMA Dermatology.

In one of the cases, a woman and her family developed symptoms of food poisoning — nausea, vomiting and diarrhea — hours after eating a bitter-tasting pumpkin soup. About a week later, the woman experienced substantial hair loss that affected a large part of her scalp, but none of her family members lost their hair.”